Thursday, June 23, 2005

The Joy of Walking

I stopped jogging last year. I could not take anymore the chest pain which kicks in after a few yards of jogging. My heart doctor assures me that there is nothing wrong, and that my heart is in excellent shape for my age. I do not fully believe it (how do you explain the marathon runners in their seventies?). Anyway, I have taken up brisk walking, in place of jogging. It has become a daily event I look forward to. It is the next best thing to my first cup of coffee in the morning. Jogging was never a fun event for me as I was always pushing my body to do better than the last time. In walking there is no such pressure. I am lucky to live in a neighborhood where there are horse trails winding through scenic areas. I feel calm and relaxed when I walk in these trails away from the traffic and people. I get quite preoccupied while walking, thinking about past and current events in my life. I never worry; but feel strong and confident. The most amazing thing is that towards the end of my walk, I always get a ‘bright idea’ about something. I truly believe that my brain gets smarter due to the physical and mental exercise I get when I walk. Alas, this effect does not last long!.

1 Comments:

At 4:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would get a second opinion regarding the chest pains that you experience just after you start jogging.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home