Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Enjoy your mocha!

Now days I am busy taking my wife to doctor’s office, labs and hospitals as she is suffering from a serious kidney infection. These visits are not easy. In addition to the anxiety of hearing the test results and doctor’s diagnosis, we often have to wait for hours to get something done. Last Monday I was feeling depressed thinking about all these difficulties as I took my wife to the Renal Treatment Center of the University of Irvine. It so happened that the center occupied the same building as the cancer treatment center. While my wife was getting her lab work done, I noticed two middle aged ladies in the waiting room with me. One had her covered with a red scarf, while the other was wearing a large black hat. It occurred to me that both are cancer patients who probably lost their hair due to the treatments they are undergoing. They looked calm and dignified. One had her eyes closed as if she wanted to stay away from the world around, while the other was looking around with a slight smile. I felt quite sorry for them, and thought how vulnerable we all are to cancer. All it requires is the diagnosis of an X-ray or lab result by one of those cold-hearted doctors. In a split second your life is changed forever. I also thought how trivial are my problems when compared to theirs, . They will probably give anything to be in the situation of mine or even my wife’s! There is so much to be thankful for. Instead of complaining, I should enjoy every day as a gift from God.
On the way back from the medical center, we passed a Starbucks coffee stand. Although I like their coffee, I usually refuse to buy it as I feel it is way too overpriced. But this time I asked my wife, “You want a mocha?”

1 Comments:

At 4:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just as we view the situations of others around us others are also watching us with the same attitude. Seeing you fidgety and lost those two also may have made a mental picture which may be far from truth. Yet that empathy that those two ladies bring out is a kind of support on which you may get going. At least a positive attitude for your situation from two complete strangerswhich should come as a relief: you are not alone and you are one with all.
'What cannot be cured must be endured', it has such black and white inevitability about it. But our situation in a wave of positive good will is buoyant. Perhaps so many praying for you or at least wishing the best must effect a cure because of its positive nature.
Best wishes for your wife's health.
Benny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home