Monday, June 19, 2006

Remembering Appa

Today is Father's Day, and I have been thinking about my dad, Appa, who is no more.

I believe that nobody has ever loved me like Appa. He had a lot to do in making my days growing up at home the happiest period in my life.

What made Appa so special as a father? First, he treated us children with respect and love. He had an amazing ability to see things from our perspective, and interact with us accordingly. He never made us feel that he is the all knowing and powerful father, and that our role is to listen quietly and obey. It was always a surprise and amusement to me to see my friends cower before their fathers while I could chat and laugh with Appa. Second, Appa had a sense of humor and appreciation for jokes which made our house a place of fun and laughter (I thank my witty brother for giving fuel to keep this going). Third, Appa did not have even an ounce of jealousy in him. The wealth and fame of others never interested or bothered him. He just focused on enjoying his family by making them happy, and we children benefited from it.

Appa passed away over 25 years ago. Now, I have also raised a family copying many of the things Appa did. I sometimes see a celebrity on T.V. choking up with disappointment that his father is not around to see his success. I will have no such problem. In fact, I feel sheepish about my undistinguished life. But Appa would have understood, and loved me the way I am.

So, thank you Appa wherever you are. I love you and miss you very much.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home