Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The numbers do not add up!

I was listening to the speech Barack Obama gave in Selma last week to commemorate a major milestone in the Civil Rights movement – The Selma-to-Montgomery March for voting rights. In his speech, Obama claimed that thanks to ‘something stirring across the country’ after the Selma march, his mother got the courage to meet and marry a black man from Kenya. ‘So they got together and Barack Obama Jr. was born'. 'So don't tell me I don't have a claim on Selma, Alabama. Don't tell me I’m not coming home to Selma, Alabama’, Obama continued with a thunderous applause from the audience.

The only problem here is that Obama was born in 1961, way before the 1965 Selma March. Little bit of shading of the truth for maximum impact, may be? I am bothered. I hope Obama is not becoming like other politicians – who say anything to get votes. (I am willing to ignore his exaggerated southern accent in the speech!).

Where have you gone, Al Gore? 'Our nation turns it's lonely eyes to you.'


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home