Friday, June 01, 2007

How times have changed!

An headline in today’s Wall Street Journal is that the India’s economy grows at annualized rate of 9.4%. Yesterday’s headline was that the USA economy has slowed down to a rate of .6%. What a difference! Economy in India is booming with the government worrying about her foreign exchange reserves, and the currency (ruppee) getting stronger. Here in USA, it is the exact opposite – the government is struggling with huge trade deficits, and a weakening dollar (means less incentive for foreigners to invest in USA). I remember the time I came to this country, about forty years ago (1966). I used to get two typical questions whenever I told new acquaints that I am from India -- “How are the famines there?” “What about the 'holy cow'?”. Also, some people used to mistake me for an American Indian when I tell them that I am an ‘Indian’. How things have changed over time. Now, ‘India’ stands for its educated labor force, which is taking away jobs from here. And, everyone knows an ‘Indian’ who is their doctor or a colleague at work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home