Sunday, February 03, 2008

A pleasant surprise!

I have volunteered as a Precinct Captain of the Obama Campaign. (For the first time in my 42 years in USA, I am getting involved in politics!). My job is to call the registered voters in my voting precinct, and to encourage Obama supporters to vote on next Tuesday (‘Super Tuesday’). It is not an easy task in the heavily Republican community I live. Anyway, last Wednesday I went to attend a Precinct Captains meeting. I was expecting it to be at some shabby office in the cheap section of town. Instead, the meeting was at a fancy restaurant right across the Obama campaign office located at a charming and touristy section of the town (Artist’s Village). The bigger surprise was the mixture of the crowd at the meeting. It was all white (except for me), well educated and passionate about Obama. We had college students, young professionals, and a few senior citizens (like me). We discussed strategies and tactics over fancy cocktails and dinner. Notes were carefully taken with a laptop computer, and distributed later. Around 9:30 PM, we went back to the Obama campaign office. There were still a few people there, all white, organizing campaign materials, analyzing data from computers etc. (Some were on phone at that time of the night which I could not understand). Everyone looked cheerful, relaxed and confident. I think the Clinton strategy of boxing in Obama as the candidate of the Afro Americans has failed. Hurray!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home