Saturday, May 08, 2010

Pickles in my life!

Years ago, my daughter, who was only four then, noticed a few gray strands sprouting here and there in my hair. ‘You have white hair!’ she remarked. I replied, ‘Yes, I am getting old’ fishing for some sympathy from my little girl. Her response surprised me. She said, ‘I am four years old; next year I will be five, and I can eat pickle!’ The term ‘old’ had an entirely different connotation to her, and she was looking forward to getting older so that she can taste the spicy Indian pickles, deemed not suitable for very young children.

Now in my sixties, here are the ‘pickles’ in my life:

1. Love of my children: There is no question that both my children love me immensely. My autistic son wants me near him all the time when he visits us. My daughter is my biggest supporter who will not accept any criticism of me by others (including from her own mother!). We think alike, and it is a joy to be around her.

2. Faithful and patient wife: I am blessed with a wife who is the most faithful wife one can ever have. We have been married close to forty years now, and there never was an instance when I had to worry about her interest and love for me. I know that there are not many who can claim this about their wives. I am so thankful.

3. Good health: Although things can change in a split second, I have been in excellent health so far. I do not suffer from any perennial disease like diabetes and high blood pressure. I look good for a person in my age group (a recent 50 year class reunion confirmed this!)

4. Active and productive: I lead a busy life as the owner of a software business based in India, and as a part-time instructor at a local university. In short, I have an impact on the daily lives and aspirations of a few people. This makes me feel useful and relevant.

5. Financial stability: Like most, I worry about my income and expenses, and the cash flow of my business. I am in no way rich; but thanks to sizable land holdings I have in India, which keep appreciating in value, there is no reason for me to worry about being poor at my old age.

6. Enjoyment of artistic skill: I am blessed with a talent for drawing and painting. This is an immense source of joy for me as I am the biggest admirer of my own work!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home